Welcome to DWShells! This is a free OpenBSD & Premium Linux shell provider. Here you can get your own personal shell account on a Linux server for free that you can connect to via SSH! The only requirements is that you actively participate in our community and follow the rules.
Blinkenshell is a mature shell provider that has been online continuously since 2006. We’re still accepting new members, if you’re interested in signing up for an account take a look at the Signup info.
Blinkenshell is built around an online community with friendly and helpful users. This is a great place to be if you are looking for somewhere to learn more about UNIX/Linux, programming, networking, security or meet other people with similar interests as yours. Many use their shell accounts to run an always-online IRC client (screen/detach irssi) or host a webpage for example. Read about some other common usage scenarios.
Keep in mind that this is not a professionally hosted service and is not intended for any commercial use. It doesn’t cost anything to use and does not provide any guaranteed uptime, availability, quality of service or any warranty. This is a hobby project!
If you have any questions or just want to talk to us, come on in and join the chat! Connect to IRC #DWShells @ irc.darkworld.network:6697 SSL or use the Webchat.
|Allowed Services||Basic / Free Shell||Premium / Support Shell|
|SSH & SFTP Access||✔||✔|
|Disk Quota||100 MB x4.5~||1000 MB x4.5~|
|Memory limit||128 MB||256 MB|
|Detach (GNU Screen, tmux)||✔||✔|
|IPv4 & IPv6 IRC access (irssi, weechat)||✔||✔|
|Bouncer (BNC, znc, weechat-relay)||X||✔|
|Listen TCP/UDP port (custom server)||X||✔|
|Static HTTPS Website||✔||✔|
|Dynamic Website, PHP / CGI||X||✔|
|Monthly Price||Free!||From $4/mo|
|Setup Fee||Free!||No setup fee|
- CPU: AMD 6-core
- RAM: 64 GB ECC REG
Connection: Static IPs, Reverse DNS, IPv6
- OS: Debian Linux on the main SSH shell server, OpenBSD etc for support services.
- Location: Szczecin, Poland
Secure remote login and file transfers via SSH and SFTP.
- 100/1000 MiB Disk quota (shared for home directory, website and mail)
Session detach via Screen or tmux, so you can keep your programms running in the background while you’re logged off.
IRC access via irssi, weechat etc. Access to all major IRC networks (IPv4 and IPv6). Bots and bouncers are only allowed on supporter accounts.
- IM: bitlbee, centerim (ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, MSN, Jabber), pidgin/finch (AIM, MSN, Jabber, Yahoo), mcabber (Jabber), bti (twitter)
- Development environment: compilers (C, C++, GO), interpreters (Python, Perl, PHP, Ruby, TCL), editors (Emacs, nano, vim), utilities (git, diff, svn)
Info/Webhosting https://<username>.dwshells.darkworld.network (PHP, CGI, custom htaccess)
SQL Databases via SQLite or MySQL (only on supporter accounts)
- E-Mail access via alpine or webmail, get your own email address (or forward) at DWShells: username(at)dwshells.darkworld.network Webmail, SMTP and IMAPs access
Games: MUDs and other text-based games
- Browse the web via text-based browsers such as links2 and elinks. Textbased FTP clients.
- Network diagnostics: ping, traceroute, dig, nslookup, whois, geoiplookup
Integrate with your smartphone (AndroidApps)
Programs/software installed on DWShells. Why would you need all this? Take a look at some common usage scenarios.